Interview with Gitte Svendsen
1. How strong is the influence of your latest work on your new work?
My work process is a long process, which means that it is reflections and the results of previous works that lead to the next works. In addition, experiments with new found materials and new tests of materials.
2. What are you currently working on?
I am currently working on developing my way of using tufted works as part of a larger context.
3. Do you listen to music while working?
No. In between I listen to the radio.
4. Which artists (or other people) are you inspired by?
Philida Barlow, Jessica Stockholder and Franz West are always in the back of my mind. After I started working on tufted works, artists like Caroline Achaintre became interesting to me.
5. What is your favorite place to see art?
It depends on which art to look at. But I really like The White Cube.
6. What is the best part of being an artist?
It is to be an artist.
7. Are there any ongoing projects or upcoming exhibitions where we can see your work?
My next two exhibitions are in Denmark. A group exhibition in the Gjet-house in Frederiksværk - opening on the 19.01.2020 and a solo exhibition in the Cobra-room at Sophieholm - opening June 2020.
Right now I am represented in the group exhibition 'Gewoon Bijzonder' at the Museum Paul Tetar van Elven, Delft.